Eglise de VIlles sur Auzon

    The church was rebuilt in the 19th century in place of the one of the 13th century.
    The facade of the church carries the unusual inscription of "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité" at the basis of its tympanum and of "République Française" on either side of the portal. This was decided by the town council of Nov. 15, 1891.

    The present church is the second church in the village. As the date on the clock indicates, it was built at the beginning of the second half of the 19th century to replace the 13th century church which had become too small and dilapidated.

    This church is a monument with a rather banal architecture, but what attracts attention are the national mottos engraved and painted in red "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité" at the base of the tympanum and "République Française", on either side of the portal.

    These inscriptions, which are rather unusual for a religious building, were decided by a deliberation of the town council meeting on 15 November 1891.

    It is likely that the events that shook France from 1871 (Paris Commune insurrection) to 1905 (law of separation of church and state) and which led to the suppression of religious congregations (1880) and the secularisation of hospitals, funeral parlours, cemeteries, etc., were at the origin of this decision.

    • Qui ?

    • Quoi ?

    • Comment ?

    • Comment ?