The parishes of Saint Christol d'Albion, Monieux, Aurel and Saint Trinit combine with Sault to form the ancient Comté de Sault, each with its Romanesque church or chapel.

The discovery of documents dated 909 prove that Humbert, founder of the Agoult house - the first reigning family in the country of Sault - was of Roman origin. He and his descendants will reign in the country of Sault and Apt during the whole Middle Ages.

The sovereignty of Sault and its valley was confirmed by a letter dated 25 January 1204, in favour of Isnard 1st dit d'Entrevennes d'Agoult.

In 1561 the Barony of Sault and its valley was established as a shire by the French king Charles IX. The inhabitants were free of taxes and soldiers towards the French Kingdom until 1791.


This former shire was incorporated into the department of Vaucluse on June 25th, 1793.

As suggested by its name Rue des Esquiches Mouches (those who "squash flies") this particularly narrow street runs along the ramparts and links the Porte des Aires and the Porte Royale.

La Porte Royale, named thus after the visit of Charles 1st king of Provence and of Naples.

At the time of the French Revolution in 1792 the castle towers were lowered to the height of the neighbouring roofs. This North West tower is the only tower which has kept its initial height.